Join our team for fun and cutting edge science in one of Europe’s most beautiful and best equipped research environments!
Currently, I do not have funding for postdocs. I could, however, help outstanding candidates to secure their own fellowship. As a former Humboldt fellow, I can for example host incoming postdocs for 6-24 months holding a postdoctoral research grant from the Alexander von Humboldt foundation. We provide lab space, consumables and have access to almost any high-end equipment in Dresden. Please also look into other German and European funding options. Please contact me ~1 year before your envisioned starting date as grant applications take long.
For now, I am hiring exclusively through the Dresden Internation PhD program / DIGS-BB. Please apply there and list me as a group leader that you would like to join. I will most like have 1-2 vacancies in the fall of 2018.
Bachelor and Master's theses, lab rotations ("Praktika")
Contact me by email. Our minimum time for lab rotations is 8 weeks.
I am proud of having an international group and I encourage applications from overseas. Due to the high numbers of (often terrible) applications, some extra advice:
- In most western countries, PIs prefer to be addressed with their (sur-) names (e.g. Dear Dr. Schmidt) instead of "Dear Sir" or even worse "Dear Sir or Madam". My picture is on my website in case you wonder if Thorsten is a name for males or females.
- Make it clear, why you chose our group and what you find interesting about the research we are doing. I will immediately delete generic applications that seem to be sent to 100+ groups and I will not even bother to reply to your email. I will answer all applications that are specific, even if I think I will not hire you. So better write few specific applications than 100 generic ones...
- Please provide detailed academic records and give me an idea about the percentile of your grades/ points. Is the grade you got top 30% or rather top 3%?
- Please provide the contact details of 2 references (ideally former mentors of yours) including telephone numbers. I will contact them if I consider your application. After that, we will schedule a skype interview.
- Last but not least: I expect grad students to quickly develop a high degree of independence, have a critical mind, develop their own ideas and drive their projects themselves. Only apply if you are confident that this approach works for you.